Monday 6 July 2009

Blog 3: Anything for you, Buddy!

This is ell635 reporting...

Dear Diary,

After getting my Pills from the Church, I was feeling alot better. And I decided I would find an objective to complete.

I decided to take Guillen's word, and avoid both factions today. I'm going to try and steer clear of them for the next few days if possible.

I took a Car from the centre of Town down to Mike's Bar just to see if there was anything I could do for my good friend Josip, or maybe learn some more about Guillen.

As I entered, I noticed Reuben was no longer in his corner. I figured he was busy at the moment, and had no time to continue on his story.

I also noticed a new face among the Bar. A Man with a Turban was standing in the centre of the room with a clipboard, analysing a Picture on the Wall. He noticed my slow approach to him, and decided to quickly stop what he was doing.

He asked me if I could help him with something, but I declined.

The reason being is because Josip was standing in his usual spot by the Bar. I wanted to catch up with him.

He told me I'd never guess what. Once I asked, he told me a Fuel depot had just got some Propane Tanks to launch an attack on the border. He told me he needed somebody to take it out, and offered me the job.

I accepted.

He told me there are alot of Children around the border, and the soldiers may not care, but he does. This soft, parental side of Josip touched me. He showed vulnerability. Yet in this heartless, cruel War we're fighting in - that's the last thing he wants. But this heart of his motivates him, and that's why I took this mission for him.


I said my farewells, in which Josip responded "Way cool", and I headed out for my Mission. Josip marked my map to help guide me to the Fuel Depot. It is positioned North West in Leboa-Sako.

I found some diamonds on my journey into Pala. A battered, rusty old Car was left desolate in some grass after a nasty accident. I decided to check out the damage, and my diamond indicator raised my awareness to a handy briefcase holding one diamond inside. A cheeky addition to my wallet.

As I entered Pala, I got a phone call from an unknown caller. I answered suspiciously, and a manly, unclear voice was on the other end. He told me I wasn't the only man who came after the Jackal. He told me there was one before me. I asked him if he knew anything about this man, or if there was anything he knew about the Jackals location. Turns out, it was just a recording. I hung up so I could focus on the road.


I particularly noticed a Bus Station half a click East from the Fuel Depot, so I used the Bus Station in Pala for a safer route to the location.

After a long Bus ride, I arrived at the North-West station at sunset. I headed down the hill and ran alongside the railway tracks. No Trains were running at this time, so I was safe, and it provided a direct route into the Depot.

As I approached from the East, I climbed up a small hill of Rocks to survey the area...

Not good. I scoped the area out with my Monocular, and spotted a curious Sniper standing atop an Oil rig scouting the area. At a time like this I needed a Sniper Rifle myself, but unfortunately I was short on cash, and weapon availability. I'd have to try and sneak by and enter the target location if I wanted to survive.


I kept scouting the Sniper from my rocky hill, and eventually he turned his back to me, and walked to the other side of the Rig. Now was my chance, I quickly made my move, and hopped down the rocks onto level ground. I took instant cover behind a small rock, and watched the sniper. He was now scoping in on the area opposite myself...

I made a sprint to a Tree which was alot closer to the target area, whilst the Sniper looked the complete opposite way. As I reached the Tree, I knew the Sniper would be heading over to look at my side. I watched him, as he came over, and I remained covered behind the large tree, not even daring to peak.

After a while, I took a quick look to see if he was still watching, and it looked as if he was just about to walk away, when he suddenly became alert again. I instantly hid back behind my tree, and waited again.

I repeated this several times...

Patience prevailed! The Sniper lost whatever curiosity he had after he saw a glimpse of me behind the tree, and he went over to the opposite side. I finally approached the Depot and was in the target area. The Sniper was no longer a problem as I was below him.


I went around the Shanty fence that boxed the Depot, as my objective was on the West side of the Depot, and as I mentioned: I approached from the East. I found a pierced hole in the fence, and crouched inside. The objective was around the second of three Oil Rigs, and past a Flatbed detached Train carriage.

I saw the Propane Tank from distance, and lobbed a Frag. I made a run for it, to sadly discover the Frag failed. Turns out the Tank was further than I'd predicted!
I whipped out my trusty RPG-7, and took aim...

...The Rocket ensured instant destruction of the Propane Tank, and I instantly made a run for, back to the Bus station.


I was taking some bullets in my back, but as I kept running, their accuracy grew worse. Thankfully the Sniper chose his side-arm too, because he thought I would still be at close-range!

I ran over my rocky hill, using the large rocks for useful cover. As I reached the other side, and starting following the railway tracks, the gunfire calmed, although the search party would surely be on my tail, not to mention an Assault Truck!

I climbed the hill towards the cliffside road by the Bus station, and looked back. Not a soldier in sight.


Mission successful! I destroyed the Propane Tank, didn't fire a single bullet at the enemy soldiers, and didn't need to heal myself with one of my THREE syrettes! And all completed before the sun had set!


I took the Bus ride back into Pala, by the time I arrived night had fallen. I took a peaceful and relieving night-ride down to Mike's Bar to debrief with Josip.

Josip welcomed me back, and asked if I'd taken out the Tank. I confirmed...

He responded "OK, so much for their stupid plan!", and then told me he knew he could count on me. I felt proud to do him a good favour.


I noticed the Man with the Turban was still in Mike's Bar, and decided to make a casual approach to learn more about him. He told me it had been a while, and walked away...


Frank


Well that was my Buddy Mission for Josip! Frank, as a character, has supposedly taken a liking to Josip, and wants to cherish their friendship through the flowing juices of destroying Propane Tanks and caring for children.

In my first blog he wrote in his Diary that he is a good investigator. Frank Bilder simply thinks by making good friends with Josip (and others for that matter!), he'll be able to establish a small army, and even a link to the Jackal if he befriends the right people.

I was extremely scared of this mission! It was my first TRUE test. Infamous proves to play a very big mind game on me, and the Permanent Death stipulation reinforces that.

What I found particularly interesting was how vital it was for me to avoid the Sniper. I knew that this Sniper would be trouble! He would have probably killed me with one bullet - had he spotted me and taken a shot.

And even worse: if he had spotted me, all the ground infantry would have come racing out to my position to find me. And at close quarters against enemies circling around me, I would have instantly lost.

What was even more impressive for me was the cover system. My route to the base provided an impressive series of rocks or Trees that took me closer to the Fuel Depot, whilst I remained hidden from the Sniper.

The main faction missions will probably be twice as hard, and I'm going to cherish life whilst I have it. My days may be limited! Admittedly, I do have Guillen waiting to help me once I'm in a sticky situation. But once she saves me, I can't help but to imagine her dropping down dead from gunfire before I can patch myself up. It's not a friendly environment.

Sadly, I've made another long blog, but this one felt far more enjoyable to write than the tutorial. The details were also far more relevant this time around.


Thanks for reading, please Comment and stay tuned for my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment